You want to use Putty from a Windows 7 or Windows 10 workstation to connect to a Raspberry Pi 3 on the network. You want to connect via a command prompt (not with a GUI). What do you do?
On the Raspberry Pi do these three steps:
1. Change password for the pi user or create a new user.
2. Find the IP address by using "ifconfig" with no quotes in a command terminal. (You can use "ip addr show" if you prefer.)
3. Go to the Raspberry button in the upper left hand corner, go to Preferences -> Raspberry Pi Configuration. For SSH choose "Enabled."
4. On the Windows machine, open Putty. If you don't have it, you can download it from here. From the Windows machine, follow the next three steps.
5. Type in the IP address of the Raspberry Pi
6. Click "open"
7. Connect as normal